KatieOlthoff.com participates in affiliate marketing and other forms of advertising. We only recommend products and services we believe in and think they will be of use to you. As such, posts on this website may contain affiliate links. For more information, please read my disclosure policy. Thank you for your support of this website and our family.

Pregnant Party #5 – Adam’s Birth Story

I forgot to host the party last week, and I noticed that some of our later-linker-uppers didn’t get any comments from the other linker-uppers.  So, if you wouldn’t mind, head back to the last party and check out the links!
There have been some great birth stories linked up, so I am putting Adam’s birth story here.  I wrote this shortly after he was born and I’m just going to copy and paste it here.
Adam David was born Sunday, July 13th at 2:20 AM. He was 8 lbs 14.5 ounces and 21 inches long! I was having contractions Friday but they went away. Saturday, I was having contractions but I went shopping in DM with my aunt and cousin (the one who is letting us borrow EVERYTHING - swing, stroller, etc.) and her 15 month old. After shopping, Mexican food, and carrying the little one around, my contractions became really strong and painful (back labor) on the way back to my aunt’s about 6:45 PM. When we got there, my 15 year old brother was mowing my aunt's lawn, so he drove me home. It was kind of funny - they were telling him to wash his hands and take latex gloves in case he had to deliver the baby. He was freaking out, but he did a really good job taking care of me.
I got home around 8, and the contractions were lasting 1 1/2 to 2 minutes and coming every 4-6 minutes. We got to the hospital at 9:50. Emily (who was in my water aerobics class while I was pregnant!) was my nurse until 11:30. Things were going pretty slowly at that point.
At midnight, my nurse checked me and I was 4-5 cm. I was having bad back labor so I got in the whirlpool. Around 12:30, my body started spontaneously pushing and I was having a hard time controlling it, so I got out of the tub and she checked me again. At 1:00 AM I was at 6 cm and struggling not to push.
At 1:15 my water broke, and I spent the next half hour trying to keep from pushing. I was so scared that my cervix would swell. But at 1:50 I was complete – 10 cm! I was so relieved when she told me I could push! Thirty short minutes later, Adam was born! So I was only at the hospital 4 1/2 hours and the whole shebang lasted around 7 1/2! Crazy! And no pain medication (although I took all I could get afterwards. :) )
Adam's heartrate dropped shortly before delivery, but he came so fast it wasn't a big deal. He also had a "true knot" in his cord. He had done a flip through his cord sometime during my pregnancy. The dr. on call who delivered and said they only see 1-2 a year and had it been pulled tight at any point during pregnancy or birth, he wouldn't have made it. I feel very fortunate and blessed that it was okay.
Overall, I had a wonderful experience. I could not imagine it going any more perfectly. I didn't have any pain meds, which was my goal, and it was so fast! My nurses were amazing, and Bart did a great job, too. He helped me breath through the contractions and stop the pushing.
Adam is a great baby and I am completely in love. I can't wait to have another. :)


Would you like to comment?

  1. Wow, Katie! I'm hoping for a delivery like that this time! I'm glad you shared. Trying not to push is horrible!

  2. Back labor...the WORST!

    Hey. You know how they tell you that you have contractions when you start to nurse? And when you nursed your first baby you thought, "No way. This isn't so bad."

    Wait until your second...


  3. Yeah, back labor is no fun at all. And trying not to push is nearly impossible, I found. Good for you doing labor without meds! And so glad it went quickly.

  4. wow no pain medication, well done! The back labor kills though. And thank goodness the cord didn't tighten! Hope your next one goes just as well or even better!