KatieOlthoff.com participates in affiliate marketing and other forms of advertising. We only recommend products and services we believe in and think they will be of use to you. As such, posts on this website may contain affiliate links. For more information, please read my disclosure policy. Thank you for your support of this website and our family.

Labor & Delivery vs. Kidney Stone


They say that passing a kidney stone is like being in labor & delivery

I have done both. The latter, I did willingly, without medication.  The former was unplanned by me, unexpected, and unwelcome.


kidney stone


Kidney Stone: mine took 3 hours to pass

Labor and Delivery: both were about 9 hours

Winner: Kidney Stone


Pain level

Labor and Delivery: 10

Kidney stones: 72

Winner: Labor and Delivery



Labor and Delivery: None.  That’s right.  Med-free births for me!

Kidney Stones: None, but not by choice.  By the time they got the IV in my wretched, hard to find veins, the stone had passed.

Winner: tie


Fear Factor

Kidney Stones: had no clue what was going on.  Thought for sure I was going to die on the bathroom floor before I got to the ER

Labor and Delivery:Was pretty sure I was having a baby.  Nervous, but exhilarating.  (much scarier the 2nd time because I knew what having a baby was like!)

Winner: Labor and Delivery



Kidney Stone: Strainer to pee through for a week.

Labor and Delivery: Sweet, sweet baby.

Winner: Labor and Delivery



Kidney Stone: None (except I now know that I have another one floating around, waiting to pass)

Labor and Delivery: 9 months of preparation

Winner: Labor and Delivery



Kidney Stone: peeing through a strainer for a week

Labor and Delivery: trouble sitting for a week, let alone peeing

Winner: Kidney Stone



Kidney Stone = 2

Labor and Delivery = 4



Yes, it’s true.  I’d rather have another baby than pass another kidney stone.

Unfortunately, however, there is another kidney stone floating around inside of me. 

Not another baby.

Would you like to comment?

  1. I came across this post while I was looking to see what color you ended up painting your house.... anyway, I had a kidney stone that put me in the bathroom floor (off and on) for a whole day before I went to the ER then another hour or two before I agreed to drugs. It was maybe 3 weeks before it finally came out and it was like 4 times as big as yours! AND, like you, I also have another stone. but fortunately nothing has happened with it and it's been over 18 months since the first one. So perhaps you will catch a break! Love the comparison to childbirth! And just in case I can't find it please let me know where the post is for the house painting!